Monday, April 12, 2010

Biblical Parenting

A few weeks ago I was perusing the shelves of the small Christian bookstore in our town and I was chacking out the parenting section (cause I need all the help I can get! Haha!). There was a book on the shelf called To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debbie Pearl. I shuddered. For those who aren't aware the Pearls run a website and "ministry" called No Greater Joy. It's awful. These are the types of people who advocate spanking for every and any offense. Recently a 5 year old daughter of parents who closely follow the Pearls' teachings was beaten to death. The autopsy performed reported that she died from complications due to the blunt force trauma she received from being repeatedly beaten with rubber hose. Isn't that awful? I left their book on the shelf. I would encourage you all to do the same. I do however have some excerpts from their book that I'd like to post here for you all to chew on. Some of these things are truly terrible.

1) The Pearls recommend whipping infants only a few months old on their bare skin. They describe whipping their own 4 month old daughter (p.9). They recommend whipping the bare skin of "every child" (p.2) for "Christians and non-Christians" (p.5) and for "every transgression" (p.1). Parents who don't whip their babies into complete submission are portrayed as indifferent, lazy, careless and neglectful (p.19) and are "creating a Nazi" (p.45).

2) On p.60 they recommend whipping babies who cannot sleep and are crying, and to never allow them "to get up." On p.61 they recommend whipping a 12 month old girl for crying. On p.79 they recommend whipping a 7 month old for screaming.

3) On p.65 co-author Debi Pearl whips the bare leg of a 15 month old she is babysitting, 10 separate times, for not playing with something she tells him to play with. On p.56 Debi Pearl hits a 2 year old so hard "a karate chop like wheeze came from somewhere deep inside."

4) On p.44 they say not to let the child's crying while being hit to "cause you to lighten up on the intensity or duration of the spanking." On p.59 they recommend whipping a 3 year old until he is "totally broken."

5) On p.55 the Pearls say a mother should hit her child if he cries for her.

6) On p.46 the Pearls say that if a child does obey before being whipped, whip them anyway. And "if you have to sit on him to spank him, then do not hesitate. And hold him there until he is surrendered. Prove that you are bigger, tougher." "Defeat him totally." On p.80 they recommend giving a child having a tantrum "a swift *forceful* spanking." On the same page they say to whip small children on their bare skin until they stop screaming. "Don't be bullied. Give him more of the same." They say to continue whipping until their crying turns into a "wounded, submissive whimper."

7) On p.47 they recommend their various whips, including "a belt or larger tree branch" to hit children.

8) The Pearls recommend pulling a nursing infant's hair (p.7), and describe tripping their non-swimming toddler so she falls into deep water (p.67). They recommend ignoring an infant's bumped head when he falls to the floor, and ignoring skinned knees (p.86). They also say "if your child is roughed-up by peers, rejoice." (p.81) And on p.103 the Pearls say if children lose their shoes, "let them go without until they (the children) can make the money to buy more."
(From www.womanuncensored.blogspot.com)


Doesn't this just make your hair curl? Much of the stuff on their website is just as bad. There are seeds of wisdom in the fact that they are advocating disciplining your child. I'm not against spanking, but I like Dr. Dobson's approach much better that there are certain times and offenses that require spanking, but they are grave and serious offenses, not piddly little things that are just part of your child learning boundaries.

If you have this book read with caution!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad they didn't raise me - That's awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You and I were talking about this just two weeks ago!

    First off I will NEVER beat my child. But, as an example today we were at good will with gretchen and their carts dont have straps because they are the smaller carts, K did really well for the first half of the time we were there but then she decided she was ready to get down and walk so she started to stand up, I put her leg back in the hole and told her not to stand up in the cart cause she could fall and hurt herself. she started again, i sat her down again, told her the same thing, the third time she stood ALL the way up, I swated her behind (though clothing) she cried for a minute but sat back down on her own and didnt stand up again.

    She doesnt understand time out yet but the other day she did something and kept going back to it so we sat down on the floor with her and I held her still (well first I told her she was one and could sit still for one minute sense she had done something wrong, then we didnt talk to her, play, sing, anything for that whole minute, amazingly when the minute was up she had either changed her mind about what she wanted to do or had forgotten cause she went on to something else. so that might be what we start doing!

    Thanks for all quotes from the aweful book. lol. and I will NOT be buying this book! geez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought that book cheap online bc my sister in law suggested it. She said their are a few things in there that she found helpful.

    The only thing that I like is that you need to discipline right away not say 'no' ten times and then finally spank after you are mad. Know what I mean? That part I find helpful because I usually say 'no' and then each time afterwards say 'no' louder and more madly, so after reading that I started saying 'no' once and then getting up to spank (or slap his hand) right away. That seems to work.

    But, that is all I like (I am only half way through it and I don't know if I will read more). There are so many things that I have read in here that make my mind boggle.

    I was shocked about "lets push our kids in the water and freak them out so that they won't go near the water again", and so many other things.

    Over and over again they say how well-behaved their kids are. Because they trained them into obidience like a dog or something.
    GOOOD GRIEF!!!

    They tell you to spank and tell a child such and such, or slap their hand for this or that. They are only 7 months old, or 2 years old or whatever. The Pearls expect a baby to act as an adult?!

    That was my biggest complaint, over and over I shouted at the book (I felt like telling them), "he's only 2 for cryin' out loud"!

    Whew, thanks for the post, I totally agree with you! :)

    Just currious, where did you get the page numbers from? The book
    I have must be older or something bc the quotes wern't on the pages you wrote, but it's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shell, yeah it's a newer edition of the book I think. YOu can read more about it at Woman Uncensored and Peaceful Parenting (www.drmomma.org)

    ReplyDelete