Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Slow Cooked Carnitas


Yesterday I made slow cooked carnitas for dinner. It was fabulously good! I had a bunch of people ask me for the recipe, so I'm posting it here for whoever wants it!

Slow Cooked Carnitas
Serves 12

-1 boneless prok shoulder butt roast (3-4lbs)
-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
-2 tsp Olive Oil
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
-1 cup salsa
-1/2 cup chicken broth
-1/2 cup tequila (or substitute 1/2 cup additional chicken broth)
-8 oz chopped green chilies

1. Cut roast in half; place in slow cooker and sprinkle with garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila, and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
2. Remove meat, shred, and return to slow cooker to cook through.

See how easy it is?? It was the easiest thing I've ever done for dinner, and tasted awesome. I did not use the tequila because I didn't have any on hand. I wish I had used it though. It would have given some depth to the flavor. I also forgot to add the chilies, so the meat was not spicy at all. Next time I will use the chilies, but it tasted fine without them if you're not a fan of spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment