Monday, July 4, 2011

Confessions of A New Mom Part I

Welcome to my new series. Confessions of A New Mom. Now, granted, I'm not exactly a new mom, I've been Mom to Derek for a while now, but I'm the mom of a new baby, so that counts. So without further ado, here is Part I...

I Hate Breastfeeding!

I feel like this is something I'm not supposed to hate! So many people talk about how much they love it, but I'm just not feeling it. I breastfed Derek for 7 weeks, and gave up after bad information and formula supplementing depleted my milk supply to nothing. But deep down, I was relieved after I gave it up. I didn't have to worry anymore about wearing clothes I could nurse in easily. I didn't have to worry about sore nipples anymore. I didn't have to deal with engorgement after going on a date with my husband and missing a feeding. It was a little bit of a pain to carry around multiple bottles and formula when we went somewhere, but it was an small inconvenience I was willing to deal with. This time around, things are different. I have much better information. I am more educated about the benefits of and mechanics of breastfeeding. I don't have an excuse for not breastfeeding Owen, so I'm doing it. But I realize I'm doing it begrudgingly. My nipples hurt a lot at first. I have clothes that I packed up and sent into storage because there's no way I can wear them this summer. It would be impossible to nurse in them. I have to bring my pump with me when I go on a date with my husband so I can pump in the car on the way home. It's a pain, but it's what's best for my son. I am determined to do things differently this time around, so I continue nursing. However, I can tell you right now I will not be an EBF-er. One year will be my cut off point. I love my son, but I also want my body back. Plus I want to be able to eat pizza, and lasagna, and ice cream again. :)

2 comments:

  1. Does Owen not like dairy? There are some good alternatives for pizza and ice cream. I don't know if I'd use it for lasagna, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dairy makes him gassy. He's not intolerant to it, his digestive system just is not ready for it. I can still eat cheese, but tomato sauce seems to upset him too.

    ReplyDelete