Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tornadoes and the ELCA

http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1965_the_tornado_the_lutherans_and_homosexuality/



This morning Pastor John (Piper) published this article on the Desiring God blog and it has generated a firestorm!!!! Pastor John is no stranger to controversy and he finds himself in the thick of it again! Let me share my take of this article and the ideas it presents and I really want to hear what others think (does anyone even read this anymore??) So read the article then read what I wrote below and leave a comment with your thoughts!!!!


First of all, the majority of criticism centers around the idea that the tornado was a warning. The opinion of many people is that it is kind of ridiculous that the tornado would mean anything at all much less be a warning to the ELCA about the content of their convention. My response to this is why not? Why couldn't the tornado be a warning? After all God has used weather to teach lessons in the past, and He controls the weather, so why is it so far out of reach for us to think that He might use a tornado?

Secondly, the rest of the criticism centers around the ELCA and the issue of homosexuality. The problem here is that homosexuality has become so socially acceptable even among the church that people balk at the idea that God might want to warn against accepting it. I don't really want to go into the debate on homosexuality because that's not what this post is about. However, I will say that I am so sad that the mainstream churches of America are choosing to toss aside God's word and go with their own ideas. One day they will know the error of their ways.

So anyway, all in all, I thought this was an amazing post. I am so glad Pastor John wrote it. Even if the tornado wasn't God speaking to us (although I believe in this instance it was) it is something to think about!!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I still read your blog!!! :)
    And, Yes, I also agree with your post about Desiring God's article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a society that has abandoned even the pretense of a Biblical worldview that no longer believes that God can have anything to do with such things as the weather. But, it is not surprising that a denomination that has abandoned the clear teaching of the Word would not see any possibility that God could be speaking through His creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, is that you Dad? Welcome! I agree. What bugged me about the comments left by people slamming Pastor John for his view is that they pretty much say God not only would not do something like this, He cannot.

    ReplyDelete