Sunday, March 29, 2009

Freedom?

I recently read an article about a homeschooling mother who was ordered by a judge to send her children to public schools. The mother and father are divorced (due to the father's adultery) and he filed a lawsuit to get her to send the kids to public schools. She maintained that she had the right to decide how her children were to be educated, but the judge ordered her to enroll the children in public school beginning next school year. Here is the link to the article if you care to read it.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91397

My point here is not about the homeschooling, it is about parents' rights to decide what is best for their children. As a new mother myself, I am amazed at all the decisions I am forced to make for a little person who cannot make those decisions for himself. I am the one who makes the decision what kind of formula he eats, I make the decision about when he goes to bed, I decide what he does with his days (to a certain extent) and when he is old enough I will decide (with Nathan of course) how he is educated. I have a really hard time with the idea that a judge could step in and tell me that certain decisions I have made for my child are wrong and overridden by his judgement. Really?? If he wants to parent my child so bad, let him. Let him deal with the 3am feedings and disgusting diaper blowouts. Let him deal with the temper tantrums and Acid Reflux. Let him take on the Terrible Twos and potty training. I mean really, he thinks he knows what is best for these children in regards to their education, but he has never parented one of them a day in his life. I think the reason this grabbed me so hard is because I am a parent myself. What kind of precedence does this set for the future? How many other parental rights are in jeopardy? I mean, spanking is now taboo according to most people, and many experts. Apparently it will cause your kids to be violent and have "sexual issues" when they are older. Parents can be reported to Social Services for spanking. Children can emancipate themselves from their parents. Parents are losing the ability to chose what they believe to be best for their children. It's scary to think that there may come a day where the government dictates how parents should raise their children. We as Christians need to combat the mainstream ideas on parenting and raise our children in the Truth.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, you should check out this website http://parentalrights.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is madening!

    ReplyDelete